Woburn Savannah

As promised following my Rhino post the other day here are some of the other animals that share the savannah plains at Woburn.

Zebra-1-2

We have the Zebra or Equus burchellii. They can live up to 35 years and weigh in at about 300-320kg.

Zebra-1

A group as in the above photograph is called a “dazzle”. The closest relative to the zebra is unsurprisingly the horse but, surprisingly the next closest relative is the Rhino, they have the same dentitional formula, and a similar bone structure.

Ostrich-1-2

The Ostrich is the worlds largest bird, although flightless it can still run at speeds of up to 43 mph (70kph).

Ostrich-1

Did you know?
The ostrich has the largest eye of any land animal. Its eye measures almost 2 in (5 cm) across.

They can grow to a height of  7 to 9 ft. (2.1 to 2.7 m) and weigh an impressive 220 to 350 lbs. (100 to 160 kg) that’s one big bird.

Zebra etc-1

The park is full of various types of antelope too. I really like this photo [above] because the bird has been caught in mid flight giving a dramatic feel a life to the setting. Unfortunately I can’t claim credit for this on as it was taken by my wife Mel (they were on her side of the car) well done Mel for getting such a good shot. Some of the other photos here were also taken by Mel.

Woburn is home to the African Ungulate Conservation Centre simply known as the “Antelope House”. It’s focus is to house and help endangered African antelope and other hoofed mammals(ungulates) and is the focus for many breeding and conservation programmes.

Zebra etc-1-2

The way the road winds through the park land enables you to appreciate these animals intermingling together as they would in the wild, well as much as is possible to do anyway. If you haven’t already visited Woburn Safari Park or something similar near you then I strongly suggest a visit I’m sure you will enjoy it and don’t forget your camera.

I’ll bring you more shots from the different areas of parkland in future posts thanks for visiting and come back soon.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Nice animal photography. Good collection of natural animal life. Picture clarity is also good.

Dave Cawkwell said...

Thanks deangraziosi and welcome to my blog.

imac said...

Wonderful from Woburn Dave.

Enjoyed the info too.

imac said...

Dave - the spin dryer, neat idea my friend.

SandyCarlson said...

These are wonderful! I love the wash on speed dry! And the contrast between the dogs has me cracked up.

SandyCarlson said...

Sorry! I didn't mean to leave you off the list. My bad. I corrected this.

SandyCarlson said...

Cheeky is good. And since part of my professional life includes editing work, I should know to pay better attention!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...